Getting Ready For My FIRST Half Mary

Having a goal in mind has always been the best motivation, hence to improve my running I made it a goal to run my first half marathon by the end of the year. I thought that this would be a nice way to celebrate my running anniversary, and with that in mind, I registered in the upcoming Standard Chartered Marathon in Singapore. :)

Training of course is essential to every endeavor - and I'd like to show you guys my new training plan.

I made this plan through miCoach ♥ 



This is a 17-week long training program built to prepare me for the half marathon. This training plan is composed of 4 parts - long run, steady run, speed training and active recovery. Each of them with intervals to allow adequate rest and recovery. 

LONG RUN - my long runs are scheduled every Sunday. I scheduled it such so that I could have the luxury of going out of town come time that I need to search for places to do my mileage run. As you can see, my training program starts at an easy 45 min run, incrementing 5 mins every week till it reaches about 2 hours something or so. It is composed of a 5 min warm up and a 5 min cool down - the remaining time of which is a straight green zone run. I try to strictly adhere to my training schedule, fighting the urges to run faster than I should or walk when my legs are hurting.



STEADY RUN - these runs are scheduled every tues. Its a constant 30 min program from the beginning of the plan to the end. It is composed of a 5 min warm up 20 min run and 5 min cooldown.



SPEED TRAINING - done every thurs, so that I'd have enough time to rest since I'm working from home.
This is where I am allowed to pump up my zoom! It is designed to change pace at certain intervals to train my heart to adapt with the changing stress. As of the moment i run 4min/km to reach the yellow zone. Maybe in time that could be faster. :)



ACTIVE RECOVERY - active recovery is the most important of all. Its a 30 min low effort run or fast walk program. This workout is designed to let my body heal while running and prepare me for the Sunday Long Runs. This is scheduled every Saturday. :)



So there you have it - My Half Mary training plan. I also do a lot of strength workouts in between runs. I try to keep it a balanced workout for both the upper and lower body. I alternate my workout to cater every muscle in my body. I especially am very strict with my core and ab workout. :)

In addition, I also use a lot of petroleum jelly during my long runs - the tale of kikay runner's 35km run gave me a scare. and i quote:
"I’ve been using BodyGlide as an anti-chafing balm ever since I experienced painful friction burns under my arms after Condura. However, it seems BodyGlide doesn’t work for me over distances longer than 21 kilometers. During my 35-kilometer run, I got a small burn on my chest area, and blood started oozing out into my shirt (!!!). I’m going to bathe in tubs of petroleum jelly on race day."
- kikay runner

I know I'm not running 35km, but just to be safe, I'm gonna bathe in petroleum jelly as well. lol

I guess that's it for now... ciao!!! :)

5 comments:

Ricky Gamboa said...

Great program! It is always wise to prepare early and slowly for things like this. Good Luck on your program! I know you can do it!

Here is a quote from the audio program i listen to. I always recite when I feel lazy.

"Yard by yard, it's hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch."

One day at a time, one training at a time, one step at a time, someday somehow we'll all get there.

deemenrunner said...

please create a training program for my 42k. hehehe!

we can do this! i'm counting on adrenalin to help me finish my first full marathon. :p

Krizie said...

hehe sige, let me know your target finish time. :)

Noelle De Guzman said...

Hey Krizie! I really hope you don't encounter any chafing on your first half-mary. After Condura, it was hell in the shower for a few days (when water hits a friction burn, it stings!). :)

Krizie said...

Im also praying that i wont. I did chafed in my arms after a 16km run - something that forced me to buy an ipod shuffle instead of wearing the armband for my music player.

bdw thanks for visiting. i believe you've already met my running mates noel,mils and eugene in boracay - i am yet to meet you. Goodluck in your Milo marathon. :)

Post a Comment