The Race to be Fit

My first race is the Century Tuna Superbods Run.

I finished the four weeks of my C25k program which would then say that i am now capable of running for 5 mins in a slow controlled pace. I thought it would be enough, i would run for 5 min walk 3 mins (or til i catch my breath again).

So there i was, in the middle of the two thousand -ish or so 3km runner's, anxiously waiting for the gunstart. Alas! we heard the signal that the race had begun and I dashed away. I was sprinting like mad to keep up with my friend's pace that i could already hear my heart pounding through my throat. It was beating so loud and so fast that before i even reached the 1km mark, i already felt like I was going to faint.

"So much for my training", i said to myself, as i chugged down half of the contents of my water bottle. My head was pounding, and the veins in my forehead felt like overstretched rubber tubes ready to explode any minute - and this was only the 1km mark.

I walked for the next 300m or so before i started running again. I was holding my bottle on the left and my towel on the right and my arms are already getting numb from all these. I ran slow.. very slow this time. til i reached the 2km mark. After reaching that, I walked again.

I was very tired at this point, and I kept asking myself why i even bothered to join. My calf was cramping and i could feel it rising up to my thighs. Suddenly i heard the marshal yelling "1KM nalang!!! PUSH!! 1KM NALANG!" and in that moment i started running again. Halfway into the curve, I walked. Everyone was passing me at this point but heck, who cares? I'm near finishing this race. I WILL FINISH THIS RACE. My eyeballs ready to pop out of its socket, i got a glimpse of the finish line... and i sprinted away.

I finished. yey! and though it was only a 3km run (a run that most people would call "dog walker's category") I was very proud of myself and i considered it a great accomplishment. :)

Official Time: 00:26:13
Chip Time: 00:25:39


My Photovendo Shot (while feeling that my eyeballs are about to drop hehe)



My Race Mistakes

- i sprinted way too soon instead of keeping the slow pace as i practiced
- i was carrying way too much
- i didn't stretch enough before running
- i wasn't breathing enough
- i kept telling myself its hard
- i was clutching my hand too tight

=====================
RACE REVIEW
===================

PROS:
- There were food after the race
a hefty amount of food and drinks was provided to all runners finishing the race
- The high-tech chip timer allowed fast release of the race results
- The finishing arch allowed runners to see their official time right then and there
- There were so many giveaways
- A lot of activities after the race
- friendly marshals
- water stations are strategically placed
- photovendo and runpix

CONS:
- There were so many people that it takes a while to reach the starting line
- It takes soo long to get the freebies due to the very long line

All in all i give this race 5 paws - It was really really good. :)




2 comments:

Ricky Gamboa said...

ahhh... the conversation with one's self. i can still remember the first 10K that I did. down the stretch i kept convincing myself to keep on running.

you'll really get to know yourself in this sport. =)

Krizie said...

haha! yeah and i have a long way to go before i reach my dream half mary next year. but im slowly getting there. :)

Post a Comment